Monday, January 2, 2017

Week 22



On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Bryce Cameron Mortenson <bryce.mortenson@myldsmail.net> wrote:

So this week was pretty good. The Peruvians celebrate New Year´s here pretty crazily haha. They wear everything yellow(idk why) and they burn dolls to pass on the dead and hit piƱatas that look like people to take out their anger lol and shoot off a billion fireworks and projectiles. We weren't allowed to stay out and i was super tired so i just went to bed haha luckily i am a heavy sleeper and i have earplugs. It was cool though, I took my comp to Pizza Hut to celebrate on Saturday night and we got a huge meatlovers pizza!

This week we finally found some new people to teach! We have been searching and searching contacting all of the members we have on our registry and we found a mom of 7 who isn't a member but all of her kids are and they have even served missions too! I think she should progress. We also found another mom whose son is studying to become a priest haha and we had a lesson with them both. luckily he doesn't know much and didn't want to argue so we will see how they go. 

I found a Dunkin´ Doughnuts here in one of the grocery stores and it is the exact same as in the States, so we have gone there a couple of times. My comp has never tried any of this stuff so i let him try it. the grocery store is also connected to a mall that we arent supposed to go in but they didnt have bathrooms anywhere else...super weird. I realized that we are so disconnected from the world haha. 

I have found out a couple of things in my time here. First, that like at Lake Powell, the sun just saps my energy and I tan super easy. And second, that I literally know nothing about the gospel or how to teach people. So ya that's about where i am at right now. I've got a lot of reading and practicing to do. I just read the Book of Mormon over again in Spanish and i am going to read the New Testament afterwards and then the missionary library. It is super hard because people expect me to know everything because i have gone to church since i was born. 

but ya anyway this week has been pretty normal. Everyday is a grind to contact people and find them. I am hitting plateaus in the language which isn't good. We started the new mission rule of speaking english in the apartment so Elder Juarez is learning a lot. I finally got under the 20 month mark today so that is pretty cool! 
-- 
Much Love,
Elder Mortenson


Bryce and Elder Juarez 17 Stories up
--
Much Love,
Elder Mortenson

No comments:

Post a Comment